Tile adhesive is ready-mixed and specially formulated from OPC, selected fine sand, and additives to improve its essential properties for laying tiles. High performance tile adhesive can be used to lay tiles on existing tiles, on polished cement, on wooden substrates (with the use of primer), or on other special substrates.
It’s very easy to use tile adhesive, it will be already ready to use after just mixing with water. Bagging product makes it convenient for transportation process, providing low dust and clean working space. Tiles are not needed to be soaked, just un-box them and lay.
- Notched trowel is normally and efficiently used to apply the mixture of tile adhesive on the area of about 1 m2. Tiles are then continuously laid onto notched adhesive and quickly adjusted into the lines.
Optimum setting time of tile adhesive allows tiles to be easily adjusted within a certain period of time. It makes tiles being laid in line and gives the aesthetic final look. Applying tile adhesive with notched trowel provides full spread on back of tiles and will reduce many problems like broken tiles esp. on the corner, water seeping, and stain or efflorescent. Full contact of the adhesive on tiles’ back and substrate provides strong bonding strength and long lasting tiling work.
Tile adhesives are formulated according to specific applications such as to lay tiles, glass mosaics, large-size granito (up from 60 x 60 cm), to lay tiles on polished substrates, on dry wall system, on existing tiles without removing them, on external areas, parking areas, industrial areas, in swimming pools, and many more.
Laying tiles by using tile adhesive with notched trowel requires less amount of material. Adhesive layer is a lot thinner than the mixture of sand-cement, and this leads to lighter load to building structure. A bag of 20 kg tile adhesive can be used to lay tiles on the average area of 4 – 5 m2. A bag of 25 kg tile adhesive can be used to lay tiles on the average of 6 – 7 m2
Tile adhesive is a flexible material which does not shrink or crack due to moisture and temperature changes. Tile adhesive is used to prevent crazing and shedding of tiles. It is very easy to use a tile adhesive, as ready-made bags are available and only water is to be mixed. Pre-mixed tile adhesives are also now available in the market. They are also used to fix or prevent seeping of water underneath the tiles.
There are various types of tile adhesives based on their application which are as follows:
Tile Adhesives for Tiles Flooring:
Tile adhesive used for new tile flooring are generally polymer modified cement based tile adhesives which are available in powdered form and are mixed with water before application. They offer more strength as compared to normal cement-sand mortar. They also offer waterproof properties and can be used for application in wet areas i.e. bathrooms, kitchen, swimming pools etc.
Various polymers such as acrylic, latex, epoxy, etc. are added for improving its adhesion properties.
- Acrylic makes tile adhesive moisture resistant. It is generally used for fixing tiles of small sizes. Ceramic tiles, vitrified tiles, natural stone tiles, etc. can be easily fixed by it.
- Latex makes tile adhesive more flexible. It is ideal for exterior use where some movement is required.
- Epoxy helps in increasing hardness and strength of adhesives. Epoxy modified adhesives may be used internally or externally as they are resistant to oils, water, dilutes acids, alkalis and most solvents. Epoxy is the most expensive and strongest tile adhesive. Epoxy modified adhesives has industrial applications, such as fixing tiles which are chemical and corrosion resistant.
Tile Adhesives for Wall Cladding or Fixing Tiles on Walls:
Polymer modified tile adhesives which have non-skid properties are used for application on wall cladding. They are ready to use adhesives which are mixed with water before application. Ceramic as well as vitrified tiles can be applied using this adhesive.
Tile Adhesives for Fixing Glass and Mosaics:
Special adhesives which have high strength are used to fix glass and mosaics. They can also be used to fix tiles in submerged areas such as in bathrooms, swimming pools, etc. They are generally available in white coloured powder in bags of 5 kg to 25 kg. The white colour is due to addition of white cement. These are the most expensive adhesives.
Tile Adhesives for Fixing New Tiles on Existing Tile Flooring:
While renovating the old tile flooring, many homeowners prefer fixing new tiles on the existing tile flooring. For this purpose tile adhesive having non-skid and no shrinkage property is used. They are made by blending special polymers with cementitious mixture.
Tile Adhesives for Fixing New Tiles on Plywood or Wooden Base:
Nowadays special tile adhesives are available in the market, which are used to fix tiles on plywood subfloor. They are polymer-modified cement-based adhesives with some additives added in them. They are available in liquid form and are mixed with non-skid adhesives before application. They have high bonding strength which can be used in vibration prone areas.
- Tile adhesives are usually available in 20 kg bags.
- Nowadays tile adhesive with improved properties such as rapid setting and no shrinkage are also available in the market.
- Tile adhesive is applied by using a notched trowel and mixed with clean water to obtain a homogenous paste free of lumps or foreign matter.
- Tile adhesive is stored in a cool and moisture free atmosphere.